Renting In Charlotte? Get The 411

So you’re moving to the Greater Charlotte Metro area? Congratulations! We know moving can be one of the most stressful times in your life. Whether you’re renting an apartment, condominium, townhouse, or home, we can help get you there.


Moving to Charlotte


Get the latest rental rates from Rent Cafe.

Rates have been increasing steadily over the past few years; however, experts are predicting supply to outplace demand over the next two years. This trend could mean good news for tenants as it may result in lower rental rates or landlords tossing in other incentives such as free parking, rent discounts, or free months.  It never hurts to ask when you are negotiating for a rental rate!


Some websites seem geared toward to those looking to buy a home (e.g.,, but these sites also have listings for renters. There are several websites that serve the Charlotte rental market.




These sites are known to the rental community, which means that rentals posted will most likely have a lot of competition and great rentals get snapped up quickly. There are a few things you can do to help get the apartment you want.

Get together your past three months of pay stubs. You need this information as proof of income. If possible, have the pay stubs in digital form so that you can email them to landlords and managers.

Do your own background check. These days it’s easy and inexpensive to run a background check. In fact some people do it just to make sure that there’s not anything inaccurate on their records! Clean records are worth showing off. And being honest about any marks on your record may help demonstrate your improved accountability.

Check your credit score. Many banks offer free access to FICO scores, and if you get the report, it won’t show as a formal credit check. Changing your credit score takes time. If you know you want to move to a new place that’s a few steps up from where you currently live, get to work on boosting that score.

Charlotte Area Schools

Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System


Great Schools

Charlotte Home Educators Association

Charlotte Agenda’s Guide to Private Schools


In North Carolina, the Tag & Tax Together program combines your vehicle’s registration fees and property taxes into one renewal notice. The NC Department of Motor Vehicles sends a single invoice, and you pay in a single transaction. Your annual vehicle inspection, registration renewal and vehicle property tax will be due the same month each year. Visit the Tag & Tax Together help page for more detailed information. Take the time to learn about getting your North Carolina license or ID card too.


In order to register to vote in North Carolina, a person must meet the legal qualifications to vote and complete a voter registration application. Qualifications are as follows:

Must be a citizen of the United States.

Must live in the county of his/her registration, and have resided there for at least 30 days prior to the date of the election.

Must be at least 18 years old. A prospective voter can submit a registration form up to two years before his/her 18th birthday, if and only if he/she will be 18 at the time of the next general election.

Must not be serving a sentence for a felony conviction (including probation or parole). If a prospective voter has previously been convicted of a felony, his/her citizenship rights must be restored. (For more information on voting rights for those in the North Carolina criminal justice system, click here.)

Must rescind any previous registration in any other county or state.

To download and complete a voter registration application, click here.

North Carolina also provides an interactive map to help locate your local board of elections.


All dogs, cats and ferrets four months and older residing in Charlotte, Mint Hill, Pineville and the unincorporated areas of Mecklenburg County must be licensed annually. This same law applies to ferrets living in Charlotte, Mint Hill, and Pineville. Proof of a current rabies vaccination from your veterinarian is required to purchase a license.

License fees vary depending on whether your pet is spayed or neutered. Yearly fees are $30 for fertile animals and $10 for sterile animals. Owners of sterile animals also may choose to pay $25 for a 3-year license. License fee exemptions may apply in certain situations.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Animal Care & Control provides more information including how to report dangerous animals, animal cruelty cases, and other violations, as well as information on pet adoptions and mandatory vaccinations.

Need to find a daycare or boarding facility for your pets during your move? Check out our Best Pet Care page!


In the event the unfortunate happens and you end up in a disagreement with your landlord, you may learn more about your rights via the N.C. Attorney General’s office, the North Carolina Consumers Council, and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!