Moving to a new town can be emotional. Although, many of us move for exciting new opportunities like new jobs or being closer to family, leaving behind our homes and cities can be hard. At T-N-T Moving Systems, we can take care of the mechanics of moving: packing, transporting, unloading, etc. “We’ve been in the moving business for 20 years and are experts at helping clients with a smooth transition,” explains Todd Koepke, co-owner of T-N-T, “But there’s more to moving than the heavy lifting.”
But how do you handle the emotional toll of moving?
Moving can be tough on the whole family. In order to bring a sense of closure to your loved ones, consider trying these simple tips:
- Hit up Special Spots: Before your departure, take the whole family to local spots that have special significance. Take pictures or a short video commemorating your special memories.
- Have a Going-Away Party: Invite the neighborhood, friends, and co-workers over to your place for one last hurrah before the moving trucks arrive. Encourage your kids to invite their friends. Making a big deal about saying goodbye can help with the transition.
- Walk through the house together: Make a point to walk through your current house with your children and note any special moments. Encourage your kids to share memories.
- Take pictures: Take a picture of your family in front of your old house and in front of the new house. Display them together in your new place.
- Plan a visit: If possible, plan a visit to your old town within the first year of moving. Drive through your old neighborhood, visit with friends, and eat at your favorite restaurants. Reconnecting with dear friends and places will help bring closure to the move.
T-N-T Moving Systems will be happy to handle the physical stress of a move to a new city. We offer both long distance and local moving services. Being prepared for a move can help everyone make a smoother transition to your new home. Call today for a free estimate: 704-523-1455.