5 Big Moving Mistakes to Avoid
At some point in our lives we have to complete the dreaded task of moving. People hate it so much, we’ve made a very successful business out of doing it for them! But at TNT Moving system we actually enjoy moving. We’ve perfected this tedious task through 20 years of experience. We can handle the whole process- from packing to unloading everything to your new home.
Over the years, we have heard horror stories from clients about other moves. Here are the top 5 mistakes to avoid:
- You Think You Can Wing It. This type of thinking seems like a relaxed approach to moving, but can actually cause a lot more stress. Trying to do it all yourself or imploring friends and family to help can become a huge pitfall. In end a do-it-yourself move may cost you dearly. From damage to your belongings to not getting a big enough truck, trying to move by yourself can be more headache than hiring professionals.
- You Wait Too Long to Book a Mover. About 40 million Americans relocate every year and the majority of that number move in the summer months. The most reputable movers, like TNT Moving Systems, get booked up quickly for summer moves. In order to avoid getting stuck with some fly-by-night moving company from Craigslist- book well in advance. Also consider moving on a weekday to avoid the weekend rush!
- You Forgot to Get an Estimate or Check Their Insurance. Getting an estimate for your move will give you peace of mind on moving day. The estimate will usually either be binding- a legal document that clearly describes the charges- or nonbinding- which should be in writing and you cannot be charge more than 10% of the estimate. The cost of your move depends on how much stuff you are moving and how far. At TNT we offer free estimates. Also, make sure your mover has insurance which will replace anything lost or damages during the move.
- You Didn’t Purge Before the Move. It is always a good idea to clean and clear clutter from your home before the move. Otherwise, you will be paying to move stuff you don’t really need or want. You can donate unwanted items, sell them in a yard sale, or simply throw them out. Here is a list of local charities that receive donations.
- You Didn’t Pack an Essentials Kit. Pack an overnight bag and clear plastic container with the essentials. In your overnight bag, be sure to include pajamas, change of clothes, toiletries, laptop and cell phone charger.
Have the essential kit handy and visible. Include things like eating utensils, select cookware, power strips, toilet paper, shower liner, trash bags, paper towels, box cutter, clean sheets and remotes. The clear bin will stand out from the myriad of cardboard boxes. You will have everything you need to open boxes, make a quick meal, use the bathroom, stay connected, clear trash, and have a good night’s sleep.
These 5 mistakes can really make your move go from challenging to miserable. If you need any more advice about your move, check out our other moving tips. Also, feel free to call us for your free estimate. At TNT Moving Systems, we do both local and long distance moves plus special item moves like pianos and gun safes.