Moving Tips: Pack Like A Pro
Packing is one of those dreaded tasks that we all face when moving. At TNT Moving Systems we are old pros at it. We have over 20 years’ experience packing and transporting all kinds of stuff. If you are preparing for a move across the country or just across town, we can help you along the way. We are a full service moving company including packing services, loading, unloading, transport, and we can even help you with storage.
If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, there check out these pro tips on packing:
- Get Boxes. Most moving companies, including us, sell boxes. We have big ones, small ones, tall ones- you name it. But another source to get boxes are retail stores. Grocery stores will often give you boxes for free. Ask for apple boxes because those have lids. Another place to check is Craigslist- people who have just moved will often give away their boxes as well.
- Use the Right Size. Determining what to pack in which box is half the battle. Pack light things in big boxes. Blankets, linens, pillows, clothes, stuffed animals, etc can all be packed in large boxes. The opposite is also true- pack heavy things in small boxes. Things like books, glassware, knickknacks, or fragile items should be packed in small boxes.
- Wrap breakables. It is important to wrap up anything fragile- especially if you are packing yourself. This will help protect your items when the movers load up everything. Use things like dish towels and wash clothes to separate plates or other dishes while packing. Even t-shirts can be used to wrap up fragile glass or ceramic items. Bubble wrap and newspaper are also great packing material.
- Plan Ahead. To ease the burden of packing a whole house, plan ahead. Get rid of unwanted or unused items before the move. This will lower costs and save time. Also, try to pack a room at a time so you don’t get overwhelmed.
- Label Boxes. It may seem like an extra step, but labeling boxes can be so helpful when you start to unload. Use a color coded system- try different color duct tape for boxes that go in the same room. Labeled boxes will really help the professional movers know where to put stuff in your new house.
Or just call us! We will do all the packing for you!